Classic Layered Chocolate Cake
Are you looking for the best chocolate cake recipe? With its tall and fluffy layers and rich and creamy chocolate buttercream frosting, there’s no need to look any further.
- 1 ½ cups White Wings All-Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- 4 Tbsp (80mL) pure cream
- 150g soft butter
- ½ cup (50g) cocoa Powder
- 1¼ cups (160g) icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 160ºC or 140ºC fan-forced and grease a 6cm deep x 20cm round cake pan. Line the base with baking paper.
2. Whisk together flour, cocoa and baking powder in a large bowl; make a well in the centre of the mixture. Add sugars, eggs, milk, yoghurt and oil to flour mixture; and whisk just until smooth.
3. Increase speed to medium and mix for 2 more minutes, scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
4. Bake for 50 – 55 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Stand 10 minutes in pan before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
5. Slice cake in half horizontally using a long bladed serrated knife.
6. To make chocolate frosting: Beat 150g soft butter for 1 minute on high. Sift together icing sugar and cocoa powder in a bowl and stir to combine. Gradually beat icing sugar mixture into butter alternating with 80 ml (4 tbsp) pure cream. Beat until fluffy and smooth.
7. Spread frosting between cake layers and then all over the cake to cover it.
Chocolate Walnut Brownies These brownies taste so delicious and indulgent, that it’s hard to believe that they are lower in fat than most other brownie recipes! To ensure a moist, nutty flavour, try not to overbake the brownies by keeping constant watch while in the...
Berry Blast Cake This delicious fresh berry vanilla cake is light, fruity and the perfect dessert to serve with tea or after dinner. It’s also very easy to create beautiful-looking berry swirls that will be sure to impress your guests! Preparation...
Double Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches If you like chocolate cookies, you’ll love these double chocolate cookie sandwiches filled with a silky chocolate buttercream frosting. The soft and fudgy texture makes it an indulgent afternoon treat! Preparation...